Monday, January 26, 2015

Jonathan's Team trapped as Boko Haram attacks Maidugri

   Members of the presidential advance team that accompanied President Goodluck Jonathan to Saturday’s presidential campaign rally in Maiduguri, Borno State, have been trapped in the Borno State capital, following an attack launched on the town by Boko Haram terrorists.

   They were scheduled to leave Maiduguri after the rally on Saturday, but had been advised to stay back for their safety by the military authorities.The advanced team is made up of security personnel, other staff attached to the president and the media.It was learnt that the armed forces were battling the insurgents while members of the advanced team had taken refuge at the offices of the Department of State Services (DSS) within the state capital, over which a curfew had already been imposed.The team was still holed up as serious fighting raged between the military and the terrorists on Sunday afternoon.
   However, the situation was said to have been brought under control at the time of this report, with the military fully in control of the city.They were said to have extended their search for remnants of the terrorists to the surrounding villages, with a view to clearing them away and creating security cordon for the team to leave the town.One of those trapped said on telephone from Maiduguri on Sunday that “they (military) said they have to comb the bushes to get rid of the insurgents and they said they might not finish today, meaning that we cannot leave today (Sunday).

“Those trapped in the president’s team are members of the media, medical and security personnel. The protocol team took risk and left on their own. That was before the terrorists started advancing.We wanted to join them but we were warned by the security guys. The protocol believed it was riskier to join convoy because it would have attracted the attention of the Boko Haram. We are now regretting we didn’t follow them.”
   Meanwhile, the Nigerian military, on Sunday, launched both air and land attacks on Boko Haram sect members in Maiduguri and Mongunu, Borno State, in an attempt to repel the insurgents, who tried to overrun the towns.It was gathered that the Boko Haram sect made attempts to overrun Maiduguri, the state capital, on Sunday, but the Nigerian military was quick to repel the attacks.Meanwhile, curfew has been imposed on Maiduguri with immediate effect, till further notice, as Nigerian troops continue to repel attacks by terrorists around Maiduguri and Mongunu. According to a statement issued by PRNigeria, calm had been restored in Maiduguri and Konduga, as operations continued with patrols and surveillance.The curfew on Maiduguri is expected to be relaxed as soon as mopping operation is concluded.

Via.Nigerian Tribune

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...