Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Busted! Fulani herdsmen nabbed for robbing along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway

    

   The Lagos State Police Command has detained two Fulani herdsmen, Mohammed Umar and Manu Hassan, for allegedly robbing motorists on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.
     It was learnt that Umar and Hassan, who were herdsmen from the Ngaski area of Kebbi State, were arrested by soldiers attached to the OP MESA while they were robbing some innocent Nigerians.Three locally-made rifles and some cartridges were recovered from the gang.The soldiers later handed them over to the state Special Anti-Robbery Squad.According to Punch report, the police say the gang of Fulani herdsmen robbers, apart from the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, also has hideouts in the Abbatoir, Abule Egba and Agege where they perpetrate their acts.It was learnt that while the soldiers apprehended Umar and Hassan, four other members of the gang evaded arrest, and were still on the run. The police further said the suspected herdsmen robbers also had hideouts in the Igbo Ora and Saki areas of Oyo State.Speaking with Punch, 28-year-old Umar said he had come to Kara Market on the express way to make a living by selling cows before he joined the gang.
    He said, “I am married with two children, and my family is based in Kebbi. I was formerly selling cows at the Kara Market before I was introduced to the gang. I rob on the highway and also steal cows, although I don’t enjoy it. I have stolen about 12 cows this year.“I sold them to one Alhaji Dan Manu in Abbatoir, Agege. I sold six to him for N500,000. I don’t have problem taking the cows away. I know their language.”22-year-old Hassan, from Bonza area of Kebbi State, said the gang had just started their operation when the OP MESA stormed the place.He said, “It was Mohammed (Umar) who said they had a work to do that night and I should come with them. I thought he was talking about construction labour. But when I knew we were going to rob on the expressway, I told them I could not use a gun. They threatened to kill me, and then handed me one of their guns.“We had hardly started the operation when the soldiers arrived at the scene. Others ran away, but I was caught.We were seven in number. The soldiers might have killed me, but I surrendered to them, explaining that it was my first time.”The police in Lagos are on top of the situation and trying to get other members of the gang.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...