Thursday, October 9, 2014

Security Guard and a Trader Nab By National Drug Law Enforcement Agency



The Enugu State Command of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency has arrested two suspected drug traffickers with 5.1 kilogrammes of powdery substances that tested positive for cocaine.

It was learnt that the agency’s operatives arrested the suspects – Okoye Matthew and Dominic Igwe – at the Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu, during the inward screening of passengers on board an Ethiopian airline.
Our correspondent gathered that 34-year-old Matthew, a security guard in South Africa, was caught with the drug weighing 1.5kg.
The guard told investigators that he had brought the drug hidden in a handbag for his friend.
He said, “I work as a security guard in South Africa. It was my friend in Nigeria that requested the drug. My role is to bring it and he will reward me.”
In his confession, Igwe, 29, said he was sponsored to traffick the 3.6kg drug concealed inside folders from Brazil by a baron whose name he had yet to divulge to the operatives.

The Ebonyi-born trader added that he had wanted to use the expected proceed to clear his debts and boost his business.
“I am a trader but I am unable to pay my rent. My capital has dwindled over the years to the extent that I am in debts. I was sponsored to Sao-Paulo, Brazil to bring cocaine. I regret my involvement,” he said.
The NDLEA Commander at the airport, Mr. Udoh Nsikak-Abasi, said the arrests were made after a thorough search.
He said, “Matthew was arrested with 1.5kg of cocaine hidden inside hand bags while Igwe was found in possession of 3.6kg of cocaine concealed inside three folders. Mathew holds passport number A04483481 while Igwe has A02375991 as his passport number. The total weight of the seized drugs is 5.1kg.”
While commending the officials for the interception, the agency’s boss, Mr. Ahmadu Giade, directed the Enugu Airport Command to beef up its security checks.
He said, “This arrest is a welcome development because we must eradicate illicit drugs from our country. I want the commander to intensify security checks and ensure the interception of narcotics at the Enugu Airport.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...